Saturday, December 24, 2011

I Have No Life

@XLillyInWonderlandX Dear X Lilly,

Quoting the text you put under your video,

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."


And the comment I made, with your reply,

I don't think you quite understanding "fair use". : ) Nor am I sure quite yet that I understand "Night Core" or that merely speeding up songs counts...
infinitelink 1 week ago
@infinitelink I don't think you quite Understand "Getting A Life" A Life doesnt Include "Oh, Let me go to Some nightcore Videos and Put a smart ass comment on them" Nope that just shows you dont Have anything better to do with your time (: You really Need To understand this is my Video and I can Remove your Comment with one click of this little mouse :DD Have A wonderful day and Maybe :O You can go out and Get A life :DD Isn't that a great Idea :DD See Im a smart Cookie [:
XLillyInWonderlandX 5 days ago


You changed pace and pitch of a song merely, & not for educational, critical, or scholarly purposes, or other criteria permitting unauthorized use of copyrighted material. Having made a statement on fair use, you proceeded not to keep within the guidelines you yourself acknowledged. That was all I meant by not understanding "fair use", no attack. I also wanted merely to state that I am not sure Nightcore consists of pitch or pace changes merely. I was actually just perusing Youtube and came across songs labelled "Nightcore" and began listening to a bunch to get a feel, to critique, and came to a preliminary conclusion that mere changes in pace and pitch probably would not be made to define a genre of music by any serious musician; I was not, in fact, clear on whether "Nightcore" as a label yet has any substantial meaning or merit!

However, my main concern is the claim of fair use. O god of that comment board, forgive me, wipe away my sins, but please remember, claiming "fair use" to justify clear violation of copyrights gives ammo to those in the legal system working to narrow and disannul the right of fair use who at this point some can be found claiming that "fair use" is not a right, but a defense. IANAL, but pointing out merely some fairly obvious facts regarding issues of fair use, the spirit of the laws you invoked by claiming "fair use" below the video you posted, and how those laws are, in fact, explained to the public on every public and university web site regarding this topic which provides guidelines to those seeking understanding of the laws, and also on Wikipedia which has decent coverage of the topic FYI, in the United States. If you happen to be out of the United States, you should be aware of the meaning of "extraterritorality" (and if you are not, look it up), as well as the current forces trying to pass SOPA (which will likely get passed as some attachement to some other bill if it cannot pass in full spotlight on its own) in the United States, and remember that YouTube is the property of an American company, which must thus comply with American laws.

As far as getting a life? Well in the sense implied by those words, I wish. I care for an old lady with Alzheimer's disease day in and out, excepting when I look for work: I lost a job due to difficulties related to moving here for her care, and essentially lost my former life therefore, but I assure you it is still a life, and meaningful enough. I advise you that telling people who say critical things that you just do not like to "get a life" implies more ignorance and immaturity on your part than constituting a meritorious insult, or worthy response to perceived negativity; also that criticism is disliked by most, but is often given without any ill intent, but writing, especially the terse sort required by limiting comment systems online, can be easily misconstrued, and if you care about understanding, or being mature, and so forth, I suggest you ask that folks clarify before getting offended and attacking. You never know exactly who it is you might be striking at, especially online! It could be some nut who easily gets very angry and worse you know. Online that can be very serious. You would be surprised how fast someone can find out who you are, approximate you location, and so on. I write all this for despite being easier to laugh the whole thing off, I like to dignify fellow human beings.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

No comments: